Getting charged and heading to court due to a DUI can result in nerves, uncertainty, confusion, and fear. If this is the first time you have been charged with driving under the influence, chances are you don’t know the legal proceedings that will follow. First and foremost, if you have found yourself in this situation, it’s essential to the outcome of your case that you hire a DUI lawyer. The experience and advice that a DUI lawyer can offer you is incredibly beneficial as you make your way through the legal process and court hearings. If you are on the fence about hiring a DUI attorney to work with you during this situation, then you might want to read this blog about how a lawyer can help your DUI case.
Today we’re going to be providing some tips for your first court hearing. If you are facing a DUI criminal allegation and this is your first time in court, you’re going to want to keep reading. While heading to court can be intimidating, hiring a DUI lawyer to work on your case can provide you with the peace of mind that will help you continue along with the process as confidently as possible. If you’re trying to find a lawyer, don’t hesitate to contact Murphy & Price, LLP in Colorado Springs. Schedule a free consultation today.
In a past blog, we discussed what you can expect from your first court hearing. We talked about how first-time DUI convictions result in less severe punishments, and how if you injured anyone on the road while driving under the influence, your punishment and sentence would be more severe. That said, we also mentioned that a DUI lawyer will be able to provide you with the counsel and knowledge necessary to work toward the best case scenario.
If you’ve never been to a court hearing before, you may be wondering what you need to do to prepare. You’re going to want to be in the best mental mode you can be in, so it’s essential that you take care of yourself to ensure that your mind is clear and functioning. Here are some tips for preparing for your day in court.
- Get Good Sleep The Night Before — The last thing you’re going to want is to wake up with a groggy mind on the day of your court hearing. That’s why it’s so important to get good sleep the night before. Prior to your court date, spend the evening relaxing. Stay in at home, eat a good dinner, take a warm shower or bath, and get into bed at an early, reasonable time. Taking some time to clear your mind and get a good night’s rest will energize you the next day.
- Eat Breakfast — You are not going to want to skip out on the most important meal of the day when you are preparing for your court hearing. Even if you don’t normally eat breakfast, fueling your body before you head to court will give you energy for the day’s proceedings. Eat some protein, like eggs or breakfast meats — your brain will thank you. Waiting in court for hours is less than desirable on an empty stomach.
- Pack A Bag Of All The Things You’ll Need — In order to be prepared for the entire day, you’re going to want to pack a bag with some necessities, like a water bottle and snack, as well as a notepad for any potential notetaking.
- Dress Professionally — Dress as if you’re going to a job interview: professionally, conservatively, and modest. Be mindful of how you are presenting yourself. Steer clear of showing your shoulders or a lot of skin, and be sure to cover up any tattoos if you can. Make sure your hair is groomed and you look pulled together. Do not wear jeans and a T-shirt.
- Meet With Your DUI Attorney — Prepare beforehand with your attorney. Your DUI lawyer will be able to provide you with advice as you prepare what you will be saying in court. If you can’t meet with them in person a few days prior to the court date, be sure to schedule a phone call.
If you have found yourself in a situation like this, it’s best to work alongside a lawyer as they create a case with your best interest in mind. Call Murphy & Price, LLP today to speak with a DUI lawyer. Schedule a free consultation today.